Alicia's Blog

Hi! My Name is Alicia and this blog is for my English 1100 class at Western Michigan University.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Odyssey Translations

I looked at three different Odyssey versions and found them to be pretty similar in the fact that they were not overly difficult to read and understand. Each of the versions had different translators and were in a different decade, yet they all still had a similar meaning behind them. The three that I looked at were:

Year 2000 with Translation by Shelia Murnaghan and Stanley Lombardo
Year 1980 with Author Richmond Lattimore
Year 1937 with Translation by W.H.D. Rouse

I particularly enjoyed the version from 1937. The way it begins catches my interest. Everytime I am looking for a new book to read, I don't judge the book by what is on the cover or what the title is, but by the first page. Starting out with an explanation and some background information is a good way to start, and it is in a tone that is easy to understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home